8.15.2013

And So It Begins...

I officially start my second year of teaching tomorrow. TOMORROW. This is not a “The sun’ll come out, tomorrow” kind of tomorrow. This is a “Holy crap! Where has summer gone?? It’s back to grown up reality—womp, womp” kind of tomorrow. Am I ready? No. Did I accomplish everything I planned to over summer break? Absolutely not.  Am I freaking out? Only a little. It’s ok. My friends and family can tell you that I am not one to panic. I am always the calm one. I tend to have a ‘don’t worry, it’ll be fine’ attitude toward most things. So I just keep telling myself that I still have plenty of time to do that list of things that haunts me from the desk. Besides, the kids don’t come until Wednesday, so I have plenty of time to fall into panic/depression.

On a happier/more exciting note… My best friend is getting married in 16 DAYS!!!!! I am beyond happy for her. She is seriously one of the nicest and most beautiful people you will ever meet, and I am so glad she has found this amazing guy that loves her like she deserves. (Congrats Homes!) AND she is coming to visit me tomorrow! :)

Since this is my very first blog post, I think it’s only fair to tell you a little about myself. My name is Martha, and I live in my hometown on my husband’s family’s farm with my husband (Cory), our dog (Sookie—pronounced like Sookie from True Blood, not Sookie from Gilmore Girls), and my husband’s grandparents (Dave & Sue). I work at my old high school where I teach Senior English and Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS). [I feel that I must warn you that my teaching English does not mean that I am a great writer. My degree is in FACS, so please forgive any and all future writing errors.] My husband is almost finished with classes for his bachelor’s degree and works part-time with his dad for their commercial construction company.

The name of my blog comes from the name of the farm where we live: Brook Hill Farm. I want this to be a record of our everyday life—the big moments and the small ones. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, but I tend to not stick with diaries and stuff like that. However, I’m hoping that putting it on the internet and telling people about it will help me actually write on a regular basis.


If you’ve actually read this whole thing, thank you and congratulations for making it all the way through! I hope you’ll continue to stop by and see what’s going on in our Life at Brook Hill.

4 comments:

  1. Ive commented 3 times and it never posts! What AM I doing wrong?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you are doing this!! NOW maybe I will hear from you more often! Keep it up, Martha! Its Day 2 and there's nothing new on here! ;-)
    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cherish said it wouldn't let her comment either :( I checked my settings, and it's supposed to let anyone comment, so I have no idea what the problem is...
      Thank you! I'm excited to finally start.

      Delete
  3. Cherish Gehret10/7/13, 3:15 PM

    You, my dear friend, are one of my favorite people in the whole wide world. But, you are aware of this fact! I'm so excited that you're blogging. It means I can keep up with you and Cory and Sookie better! :-) Number one thing- thanks for the sweet shout out! The first time I read it, it made me tear up. And the second and the third... but you know, who's counting?! I think YOU are one of the sweetest, funniest and coolest people I know! You keep me calm in any and every situation, including my weddddddding! hahaha. Number two thing, you're a very good writer! And the pic of Brook Hill is so pretty!! Anyway, I've now successfully commented on every single one of your posts so I'm going to get back to work! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete